When you call your Seattle Dentist or Bellevue Dentist with a toothache, there may be some remedies that can be used to help the pain until you can get to your dentist′s office. The most commonly used home remedies for treatment of a toothache are over–the–counter painkillers. If after using one of the over–the– painkillers you have not received adequate pain relief, you should consult your Brookside Dental dentist immediately. If you are a known patient of record, the dentist may prescribe a more effective pain killer until you can get into the office for an examination. As a patient of record with an emergency involving pain, swelling or considerable bleeding, Bellevue Family dentists or Seattle Family dentists will usually schedule you for an emergency appointment the same day that you call the office.

Preventative care with good oral hygiene is the best method of preventing a toothache. With good home care to prevent the build–up of tartar and plaque and their associated bacteria, you should be able to avoid most toothache problems in most cases, if you combine your home care with regular visits to your dentist every 6 months for a professional cleaning and full oral examination. However, even with the best of home care and regular dental examinations and hygiene cleanings, toothaches are not totally avoidable and you may encounter a toothache problem.

If you do experience a toothache, a warm salt–water rinse can help eliminate many oral bacteria. Temporary relief of pain can be provided by over the counter pain medications. Antiseptic lotions and gels are available over the counter that can be used in the mouth to help give short–term pain relief. It is important to note that none of these remedies or any other temporary remedy should be considered as a replacement for a visit and examination with a Seattle Dentist or Bellevue Dentist. Be sure to seek competent professional dental or medical advice if you have persistent pain, swelling, or bleeding in your mouth.

After examining you, your Bellevue Family dentists or Seattle Family dentists may decide it is best to have you see either an oral surgeon for possible tooth extraction (see American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons www.aaoms.org) or an endodontist for possible root canal therapy (American Association of Endodontists www.aae.org) or a periodontist for excessive bleeding of the gums (American Academy of Periodontology www.perio.org).

The information contained here should be used only in consultation with an dentist or specialist of your choice. No guarantees or warranties are made regarding any of the information contained within this website. This website is not intended to offer specific medical, dental or surgical advice to anyone.