Besides keeping the latest editions of People, Us Weekly and Better Homes and Gardens in the waiting area to keep patients busy, distracted and entertained while they wait, there are a few other things that every patient wants and needs from their dentist.
Counting up from #5 they are:
5. Be a dentist who runs on time: Benjamin Franklin said “Don’t squander time. That is the stuff life is made of.” We all have a life and are busy. A patient has arranged their schedule to be on time for their appointment and hopes the dentist will do the same. Understandably, that there are extenuating circumstances at time, so please use the patient’s contact numbers and let them know if the doctor is running late.
4. Explain what will happen before you do it: No surprises please! Fear of the unknown and pain are ever present with dental patients, so please tell them what to expect and when to expect it. This will help them to be much more cooperative. We promise!
3. Staff the front office with friendly people: Since a patient’s first and last contact at each visit is usually with the front desk staff, make sure they are people who enjoy doing their job, are competent and friendly and actually make them feel like coming back to the office again.
2. Have a warm bedside manner: Everyone wants a friendly doctor. Visiting the dentist is not most people’s favorite way of passing an afternoon, but when your doctor is pleasant, interested and even willing to crack a joke or two, it makes for a much more relaxing and enjoyable visit.
And the most important quality a patient wants in a dentist is:
1. Be confident: Patients are nervous enough without having a doctor who appears disinterested, uninformed about their case, or unsure of what to do with them. Have a plan of action outlined. When a patient feels that a doctor is confident and knows what they are doing, they can just relax and will happily let the doctor take the reins.
A Dentist Who Fits The “Ideal”
As a second generation dentist in Bellevue, Dr. Cynthia Pauley is well aware of what patients want and need from their dentist – and she delivers it! Her years of experience and training with some of the best institutions in the country have molded a dentist that fits the description of the “ideal dentist” that many patients are looking for.
We invite you to visit us at Brookside Dental and experience what a visit to the dentist should be. Just call one of our “friendly” staff members at (425)643-2818 or contact us online and we will be happy to welcome you as a member of our happy dental family.
What do you think is the most important quality in a dentist?