Dental Implants Help Create Beautiful Smiles
When teeth are missing there are several options available to patients in modern dentistry, one of which is a dental implant, which can be put in place by your Cosmetic Dentist. Dental implants can be used to replace either a single tooth or multiple teeth. Dental implants act as an anchor to hold either a crown for single tooth replacement or a bridge for replacement of multiple teeth. The dental implants, which are surgically imbedded into the jawbones, act as new roots for the lost tooth or teeth. Implants preserve more natural tooth structure than bridges do because bridges require that they be physically anchored onto adjacent healthy teeth. These healthy teeth must be prepared to act as abutment anchors for the bridge by removing a considerable amount of healthy teeth. Teeth may be lost for various reasons, such as tooth decay, trauma, injury, or gum disease. Dental implants can be used to replace teeth regardless of the reason for the loss. Restorations that utilize implants are considered very aesthetic and often feel and function much more like natural teeth than other types of tooth replacement such as traditional dentures or bridges. The dental implants help prevent bone loss and gum recession which is often seen when traditional bridges or dentures are used without the support of the anchoring effect of the implant in the jawbone. If someone is missing a large number of teeth, multiple implants can be used to support either a partial denture or a full denture. There is a very high satisfaction rate among patients that receive dental implants. Some general dentists have specialized training with dental implants. However, specialists are often used for implant placement, such as an oral surgeon, a periodontist, or a prosthodontist. Your Cosmetic Dentist may work very closely with both an oral surgeon and a periodontist to insure that your implants and associated crowns and bridges are the best and most natural fit and function available to the patient. When your cosmetic dentist places your dental implants correctly, there is about a 97% success rate of long-term retention. With proper materials, procedures, and patient care the implants should last your entire life.
Dental Implants benefits are:
- Beautiful Smiles giving an improved appearance are the most obvious advantage of using dental implants to support crowns, bridges, and partials. They will help your smile look more natural and more youthful because they look and feel like your own teeth.
- Comfortable Teeth because the implants are part of your jawbone after fusion is complete and there is not any discomfort such as that associated with removable partials or full dentures.
- Natural Tooth Preservation because implants do not require that the crowns on them need to be physically anchored onto adjacent healthy teeth as three or four unit bridges do.
- Cost Effective due to the fact that adjacent healthy teeth do not need to be cut, prepared and restored as is done with three or four unit bridges. Therefore, there is not any cost associated with these adjacent healthy teeth that need to be used to anchor dental bridge abutments.
- Long-lasting Beauty because dental implants are very durable and should last for many years if properly cared for. Implants require the same oral care as that of natural teeth and other dental restorations.
- Improved Oral Health because individual dental implants allow very easy access between the natural teeth and the implant supported crowns. This leads to improved oral hygiene.
- Speech Improvement occurs because the implants do not slip as occurs during speech with improperly fitted full dentures. When removable dentures slip, your speech can become slurred and unclear. Implants don’t move around in your mouth while you’re speaking.
- Eating Improvement occurs because sliding or moving dentures make it difficult to chew properly. Because the implants and their crowns act like natural teeth, you can eat all of your favorite foods, vegetables, and fruits without any concerns. Implants are also much more stable than dentures, because they do not move around in your mouth while you’re eating.
- New Image and Self-esteem can accompany your successful implant supported teeth. You should have a new radiance to your smile and a better overall self-confidence.
- Reliability and Success Rate of dental implants is very high which makes their usage very predictable and reliable. When implants are done properly as by your Bellevue Cosmetic Dentists at Brookside Dental, there is about a 97% success rate of long-term implant retention.
Cynthia Pauley, DDS, is a Cosmetic and Family Dentist in Seattle, WA, www.brooksidedental.com . She has been selected as one of the TOP DENTISTS in both Cosmetic Dentistry and Family Dentistry by Seattle Magazine, 2006. She may be contacted at email@example.com .